One of the biggest advantages of a laptop lies in its portability – but if you need to use yours for a long period of time while you’re on the move, you need to have the confidence that the battery will remain charged for as long as you need. So here are 10 laptops with the longest battery life.
- Lenovo Thinkpad T450s (extended battery) – 15:26 (hours: minutes)
- Lenovo Thinkpad X250 (extended battery) – 15:12
- Acer Aspire One Cloudbook (14-inch) – 14:43
- Toshiba Portege Z20t (with keyboard dock) – 14:37
- Apple MacBook Air (13-inch) – 14:00
- Dell Chromebook 13-7310 – 13:25
- Surface Boom – 12:29
- ASUS X205 – 12:05
- Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display (13-inch) – 12:04
- Dell XPS 13 – 11:54
*Tested by surfing the web continuously over Wi-Fi until the battery drained.
Three Tips for Extending Laptop Battery Life
Performing process-intensive tasks such as large file transfers and streaming videos on the move can have a draining effect on your laptop’s battery. Here are some tips to help it last a little bit longer.
Determine your biggest battery drainers
- Windows: A quick look at your taskbar should tell you which apps are running. Alternatively, click on the Windows icon and type Task Manager in the search bar to see how much power each app is using.
- Mac: Select the battery icon in the top-right corner and click on each app to see how much impact it is having on the battery.
Enable power saver mode
Whether you have a Windows laptop or a Mac, enabling power saver mode will help your laptop’s battery to be as efficient as possible. The automatic adjustments such as a quicker sleep timer and a slightly dimmer monitor might just save you those crucial extra minutes you need to complete the task you’re doing.
- Windows: Click the battery icon on the task bar and select Power saver.
- Mac: Select the battery icon found in the top-right corner of the screen and click Open Energy Saver Preferences to manually adjust the settings.
Having devices plugged into your laptop will quickly drain the battery so if you need yours to go the extra mile, disconnect the likes of USB sticks, webcams and wireless PC cards.
There is a wide selection of laptops that go the distance at BT Shop. Find a great deal on your next laptop today.